RV Tow Check Towing Calculator
Learn How Much You Can Safely Stop
Interactive App Demo
"I believe every sales staff in every dealership everywhere should be using your service. Owner's manuals are vague, and most truck dealerships tell customers what they want to hear."—Doug Vallance, Sales, D&D RV Center, MT.
- One of the biggest mistakes people make is accepting the TWR as the bottom line while ignoring the owner's manual towing capacity instructions, cautions, and warnings.
- Four formula sets are required to calculate accurate towing capacity. If you don't know these precise calculations, then the RV Tow Check app is your best option to do the math for you.
- The RV Tow Check mobile app was developed after three years of use of the original 'Before You Buy RV' web-based towing calculator. All accomplished by listening to the needs and complaints from numerous RVers who failed to correctly match tow vehicles and trailers.
- RV Tow Check is a must-have tool for anyone owning or considering a tow vehicle less than a late-model one-ton dually truck.
- RV Tow Check is a small price to pay, considering it can save one from a very costly mistake.
- Contrary to opinion, the 70%, 75%, or 80% golden rules do not ensure a safe towing capacity combination. Read why here.
- Since the web-based mobile app conception, over 450,000 successful calculations have been completed.
- The RV Tow Check mobile app was announced in the weekly RV Dealers Association News Brief.
- GM tailored a trailering information label suitable for RV Tow Check. SEE IT HERE
- GM Trailering Information Label for RVTC
GM tailored a perfect label for the buyer looking for the right truck or SUV to tow a trailer. The Trailering Information label is ideal for the buyer and perfectly suited for the RV Tow Check app. It cannot be easier to match the right truck or SUV to a trailer with this label and RV Tow Check.
- GM Trailering Information Label for RVTC
"With 100% accuracy, RV Tow Check answers the question ‘How much can my vehicle tow without exceeding the weight safety ratings?’ However, the accuracy of one's input is not guaranteed."
Dave Gray, app creator
The RV Tow Check app is the first "Before You Buy an RV" towing capacity calculator that conforms to manufacturers' weight safety and warranty warnings.
RV Tow Check uniquely complies with the SAE J2807 trailer weight rating (TWR) calculation methodology.
RV Tow Check requires four weight inputs from the tow vehicle. The required entries are gross combination weight rating (GCWR), gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), gross vehicle weight (GVW), and trailer weight ratings (TWR).
RV Tow Check provides instant max towing capacity results as the user selects various kingpin or tongue weight percentages.
RV Tow Check simplifies the process of obtaining the realistic vehicle towing capacity (RVTC) for any vehicle towing a trailer.
The app's math calculations are as accurate as the weights entered into it.
RV Tow Check displays realistic vehicle towing capacity for a fifth wheel, gooseneck, and conventional trailers (bumper pull) simultaneously.
RV Tow Check users could select the fifth wheel hitch input box if the hitch was not installed when the truck weighed.
RV Tow Check users may include any additional unscaled weight for cargo, aftermarket equipment, and passenger weight. The app does not assume everyone weighs 150 or 175 pounds as the manufacturers do.
RV Tow Check can assist RV buyers and dealers in ensuring tow vehicles are appropriately matched to any type of trailer towed.
RV Tow Check provides users with the choice of beginner or expert mode of operation. The app's initial mode is Beginner. Beginner mode has detailed step-by-step instructions. Once the user has learned the correct use, they may switch to "Expert Mode." Expert users will view a streamlined single-page calculator without the instructions.
What Others Are Saying
"This is the best towing calc tool I've used so far." [sic] B. Pollock, Facebook
"This calculator makes it much more obvious and easy to understand just what we are doing. Thanks." Heartland RV Club member
"RV Tow Check App should be called the RV Sales BS Detector." [sic] RV forum member, 8Muddypaws
"I just had a tough time deciding which Ram 3500 CC 4x4 to choose. 68RFE or Aisin transmission. Short bed or long bed. SRW or DRW. I choose the long bed, DRW with Aisin. Using the calculator I am golden for towing my 15,500 GVWR 5th wheel. But, if I had chosen the 68RFE transmission, I would be right on the edge. The other options would have put me under." [sic] Heartland RV Club member
"I've decided after… punching my daughter's trucks numbers into the RV Tow Check app, there is "NO 1/2 ton 5th wheel" under the 6000 lbs GVWR, that her F150 should be able to safely tow!!! Dad is going to wise up and recommend she shop for a bumper pull." [sic] Heartland RV Club member.
"If I had this tool in 2008, I would have avoided a costly $15,000 mistake. I created RV Tow Check to save you from making a costly mistake." Dave Gray, creator of RV Tow Check
Revealing the whole truth about
Realistic Vehicle Towing Capacity
Towing Guides Are Often Misinterpreted
Practically all towing guides give RVers and dealers just enough information that may cause an RVer to purchase a trailer too heavy for a tow vehicle's capabilities. Towing guides listing maximum tow capacity or tow limits fail to take into consideration the different towing requirements between 5th wheel and conventional trailers. These simple guides do not consider the additional weight created by the trailer’s kingpin weight. Often, vehicle owners neglect reading the owner’s manual towing chapter instructions, cautions, and warnings. Then there is the problem of knowing the vehicle's realistic vehicle towing capacity after it is fully loaded with passengers, cargo, optional equipment, and hitch. The Trailer Life towing guide use to devote four pages of instructions, entitled 'Choose Wisely,' that spelled out the details required for selecting a towing combination. Now the Trailer Life towing guide has an article entitled ‘Perfect Match,’ and it has increased to five pages. As well as the article is written, it just provides a more convincing reason to use the RV Tow Check app.
Let's get real—None of the towing guides have improved this statistic.
The RV Safety and Education Foundation (RVSEF) data indicates that 60% of all tow vehicles on the road exceed one or more weight safety ratings. "Many of these trucks exceed all of their ratings." (Walter Cannon, RVSEF Video, @14 minutes, 50 seconds)S
"As an RVer and the app creator, I am confident that the RV Tow Check app will aid thousands of RV buyers and dealers in making better choices for the RV purchase or sale. Buying an RV is a big life investment decision. RV Tow Check will help with part of that decision. Additionally, I anticipate that the RV Tow Check app will become an industry standard for consumers and dealers. The app is a small price to pay to prevent a huge, costly mistake." Dave Gray
Manufacturer's specs+tow vehicle weight+RV Tow Check=
Realistic Vehicle Towing Capacity
October 2018, RV Tow Check’s creator was interviewed by Greg Gerber, the RV Daily Report founder. This podcast includes information about the RV Tow Check towing capacity app:
A note from the app creator:
100% of the negative app reviews at the app stores are guilty of at least one of the following.
- Failure to watch the app promo video and/or read the app description.
- Failure to read and comprehend app beginner instructions.
- Failure to read the comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.
- Entering incorrect tow vehicle weight information.
- Disbelief of the true facts of the correctly entered weight information.
To date, not one of the negative reviewers has contacted me. Reviewers must provide details that would allow me to assist them and to better understand any issues I may need to correct with the instructions or FAQs.